Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Ah, spelling

So Shannon's Tuesday spelling assignment is to use all her spelling words in sentences. Normally, she does this with her dad... she gives him three random words that  he has to use in a haiku, while she tries to make a single sentence with three spelling words. This makes for a fun challenge and a nice bonding experience.

They didn't get to her homework last night, so she has to make it up today. She's doing it right now and asked that I'd do the haiku part. No problem. She's sat there for 15 (FIFTEEN) freakin' minutes staring into space and doodling. I'm busy walking the line between letting the creative juices flow and screaming for her to focus. She says the first three words are really hard to get into a sentence. I told her that the original intent of the exercise is to write a sentence per word, but she had changed the rules to challenge herself. I reminded her it was OK to just put a single word in the sentence. "NO! It's faster this way!"  Um, really kid? Staring into space for fifteen minutes is NOT faster. Sorry.

Oddly enough, she comes up with her sentence about 60 seconds later. The words giving her trouble? Two colors and a noun. Blue, Green, Shoe. Her dazzling sentence that took her fifteen minutes to create? "My shoe is blue and green."

So, we're back to focus issues. (I'll cover later what I think about the spelling words for this "advanced" curriculum, blech)

(oh, and she gave me the not-so-random words tulip, scissors, and crystal... my haiku:
Lovely crystal vase
The tulip yearns toward sunlight
Get me my scissors)

No comments: